Visit to Kiran Nadar Museum of Art

 

On one fine day, my faculty organized a visit to the Kiran Nadar Museum of Art, there was an exhibition of Designer Rimzim Dadu's work. She is an alumnus of Pearl academy itself; she is not a cut-and-sew designer. She can never just pick fabric off the shelf and make something out of it. That’s also because silhouettes and shapes are not her strength. For her, creating my own textiles is more exciting. She likes using fabrics while transforming their entire character. For example, she recently created a chiffon sari (my first sari ever) and she tried to use chiffon in a way that it loses its softness and fluidity becoming structured as a result. She tore chiffon into strips, made cords out of the strips, patched differently coloured cords to form a pattern and then sewed them together. The end result was a ‘not so chiffon’ chiffon sari. Breaking something down into smaller components, changing its structure and putting it back together is what excites her.

So back to the story, my two friends and I decided to go together to the venue as they are new to Delhi and do not know how to use the metro so I helped them and we went together.

 

                 

When I reached there, it felt so surreal and quiet, the interior was quite aesthetic and minimalistic. I saw and admired the artwork of artists like Anupam Sood and Somnath Hore.

After that we had a fun activity where we had to find anything from outside, it can be a tree branch, flower, leaf, even a stone, anything from nature and we had to sew it on paper with that we have to make any geometrical shape using threads.

Atlast we got a chance to meet Rimzim Dadu, at first me and my friends didn't recognize her as she was so simply dressed. To be honest I thought she is not a designer and was one of the employees at Kiran Nadar Museum. But when we met her, she was so simple and she was talking to us so nicely. She showed us her work and also her mistakes. When my fellow mates and I were asking questions, she was answering so politely and so well to us all. For me, that conversation with her was very insightful and it also taught me to look at everything positively and also to never give up...

                 

                 


Comments